Monday, February 16, 2009

Uni etcetera



View over the Seine


Well it has been quite awhile since I did my last update! Sadly our internet box is yet to arrive, although Steph lost our set of keys that had the letterbox key, so it is entirely possible that the courier came when we were out and we are blissfully ignorant!

However, our methodology and french classes have started at uni... Most of the other students in our class are painfully bad at french. Some (an American and a Venezuelan) are good at french but so hard to understand. One thing that makes it easier is the fact that our Methodology professor, Gregoire, is smoking hot. He started our second class with a poetry reading. I almost died.

Met a lot of lovely new people. I should mention Anna, a girl from Amsterdam, who is an absolute hoot and a generally sweet girl. We had a bar-a-thon on Thursday night, which Steph skipped (as she'd been out the night before, I stayed in as I'm coming down with a bit of a sickness and am trying to fight it off) so Anna and I went. Chatted to a lot of people, including Rob, from Uni of WA, who happens to have the same 'falling in love' fantasy as I do. I think he and I will be great friends...

On Wednesday night Loc, an Aussie photographer, came and stayed with us, as he is living in this horrible basement thing, and his heating system broke, so had no heating and no hot water... I could think of few things that are worse at the moment... (His photos, by the way, are amazing, check out locboy.blogspot.com)

Friday, Jess and Brooke, two girls from UQ who are doing their exchange in Lyon, arrived. They're staying with us for a while (Brooke til Wednesday, Jess til next Monday) so the four of us and Loc went out for dinner at Le Cafe and had delicious simple french food... I had the best Croque Monsieur I've ever had in my entire life... That afternoon we'd been shopping in the Marais, an activity which we continued on Friday... I'm still trying to work out my budget, but Jess bought a gorgeous pair of boots and a lovely coat.

Saturday night Steph, Brooke, Jess, Anna and I went to Julien's (Steph's new french lover) play up in Montmartre. I don't know if I'm a fan of french theatre, it was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. It was four short little scenes (about 20 minutes each) and there was a lot of nudity. The first one was about the myth of the goddess Diana, but as far as I'm aware involved a lot of rubbing meat on naked bodies....


Anyway, after the play, we went to a Turkish restaurant in Montmartre with all the actors in the play, so we ended up commandeering the entire restaurant... It's open all night, and we stayed there until about 4am. The five of us girls were quite conspicuous, given we're all blonde, and also happened to be the only blondes there.

Today the four Aussie girls had brunch at a little market in the Marais. For 20euro we got fruit salad, yoghurt, the best scone I've ever had, a huge assortment of cured meats and cheese, scrambled eggs, coffee, freshly squeezed apple juice, and a really yummy green salad. It was delicious. Then, it was such a lovely day (in that it was freezing cold, but the sun was at least out) so we decided to walk from the Marais across Le Petit Pont to Notre Dame. We headed inside and had a look around, and although I've been a couple of times it never ceases to amaze me how beautiful it is... Then we crossed Le Pont Neuf to the Louvre and Jardin des Tuileries... Also, special shout out to Carmen - I saw the restaurant where Carrie has dinner with Aleksandr Petrovsky's ex-wife.... We wandered home and after doing all my internet business we are going to head back home to dump our computers and come back to The Thistle for Trivia Night!

Am going to upload some photos, and belatedly attach them to posts soon, so look forward to that! Am starting to feel marginally homesick, but by the time it comes on full force I will probably be swamped with uni work!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see pictures!!! Is it possible if you can get a picture of your smoking hot Methodology professor too? ;-) teehee... glad to hear you're having an awesome time in Paris, we all miss you! .xo.

    ReplyDelete