Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Finally...

A new update for you all!

So, when you last heard from me Mum was about to arrive. So she showed up on the Monday, and I was so relieved because my cold had turned into something of a deathly illness! The virus had migrated to both ear and chest infections, but luckily she was packing some hardcore antibiotics that made me feel better very quickly. So she was with us until Saturday, which was absolutely lovely. She mostly pottered around exploring the area, and Paris in general. Went to the Museum of Modern Art, ate out a lot, it was really nice.

So she headed off, I had work, went to Trivia (and won, obviously). Nothing really happened until that Thursday night, when I had Misa, Alex, my friend from Canada, Ally, another Canadian, and Sylvia and Frances (also from Canada) over for my famous vegetable soup and a lot of wine. So we hung out at mine until about midnight when we headed out to Andy Wahloo, a really fun miniclub just near my place and danced the night away. I did feel a bit sorry for myself the next morning, when I realised there had been six of us at my house and we'd had nine bottles of wine (the first of which Misa and I finished before anyone else arrived).

On Friday night before work I headed down to The Thistle for the leaving party of Alan, one of the bartenders, who was heading back to Scotland to prepare for his next international venture, to Australia!

Sunday, Alex and I banded together with the Corkatudes, the team who used to be our big competition but who we now seem to have merged with, and absolutely killed it at trivia, beating the team that came second by 4.5 points (which is a lot in trivia).

The rest of the week (which was last week) I was completely focused on my uni work, as Thursday morning I had an oral (in French) on "The role of values in the political choices of electors"... Easy, right? So, had to write that, then present it. Showed up to class thinking I would have at least half an hour to read through it before I went, as I was supposed to be second. However, my professor decided that it would actually make more sense if I went first! In a way it was kind of a good thing, as both the other two girls who were presenting were Australian. In some classes that wouldn't be a problem, as there are a lot of international students. However, in this particular class there's only about five of us. So by the time the second girl got up to start presenting, all the french in the class had just about had enough of foreigners massacring their language.

Anyway, the one good thing is that it's done and I no longer have to worry about it - I can focus my stress on my other oral that needs to be prepared, and the four hour exam that I have on ANZAC day. As Misa said when we walked out of class, 'It wasn't that shit'.

So, to recover we decided to go to the Marais to get a felafel, as Rue des Rosiers is a big Jewish street with the best felafel in Paris. Sadly, we'd forgotten it was Passover. So instead we went to Breakfast in America, and I had the first meal of bacon and eggs I've had since I got here! The french don't really eat bacon like we do, so I was very excited... I also treated myself to a haircut.

Thursday night went out with Ally and Olga, two friends, and Olga's best friend Amanda who is doing study abroad in London, and was over visiting. We hung out at there apartment drinking for awhile (quite awhile) before heading to a bar called Le Motel, where we were supposed to meet one of Ally's friends, Tomas, who is in the Sciences Po rugby team, and all his rugby friends. Needless to say, I found the prospect of french rugby boys rather appealing. Unfortunately we'd been drinking for so long that by the time we got there only Tomas was left, the others had gone to a Sciences Po student party at a club in Republique.

Olga, Amanda and I decided we couldn't be bothered legging it to Republique (by this stage the metro was closed so we would have had to cab) so we went to Cha Cha Club, which is just at Les Halles, basically between my place and Olga's, very convenient. Anyway, it was a great place to go out and is definitely on my list as one of my favourite bars/nightclubs in Paris. Walked home through Les Halles at 5am, didn't get stabbed, which is definitely an achievement in that area.

Friday afternoon, once I'd woken up, Steph and I went vintage shopping in the Marais and over in Bastille. It was kind of late, and the crowds were pretty crazy so we didn't really make the most of it. But I did manage to pick up two pairs of overalls, one in denim, and one in this fabulously hideous blue and brown florally pattern.

Then, work work blah blah. Easter Sunday we had lunch at our place with Tess (who cooked, yay!), her friend Loc who was visiting, our friend Loc, Julien, and a couple of other Australians. The food was absolutely amazing and it was a really fun bunch of people. Later that evening some french friends of Julien showed up, so a lunch that started at 3pm ended up finishing at about 3am. I was sent on a wine/vodka run at about 8pm. Luckily France is secular, so everything that would normally be open on a Sunday was still open.

Now, we have a week midsemester break... A lot of my friends have gone away, but I decided that with work I would just stay in Paris and enjoy the spring (although it's kind of cloudy and gross at the moment). Worked last night til midnight, and although I intended to go straight home, I got chatting to a group of English boys who were friends with Helene, a girl I work with. So I ended up getting home at 10am this morning. Oops.

Anyway, must go do some uni work now. I'll try not to leave so long between posts! I really miss you all so much! Georgia xox

No comments:

Post a Comment